Graphic Design Online Course
Master the basics of graphic design learning about the principles of design, colour theory, typography and layout on this 10-week online training course delivered by our partners Red & Yellow.
Graphic DesignOnline7 modules
Designed with busy professionals in mind, this course provides the freedom to learn independently, but with full support. The weekly assignments build on each other and by the end of the course you'll have the building blocks towards a great creative portfolio.
What will I learn?
- Master the basics of graphic design principles and applications
- Understand colour theory, typography and how to pick the perfect font.
- Use Adobe Illustrator by designing a logo, corporate identity, poster design and other layouts
- Be able to apply what you’ve learnt to digital design for social media
- Gain the contextual understanding of the history of graphic design, stylistic movements and the famous designers that made an impact
Why should I take this course?
- The history, the global influences and development of graphic design, and how it applies today
- Graphic design styles
- The steps in the design process
- Ideation techniques and the tools to generate the best creative ideas
- The design process steps in a process file
- Colour terms, schemes and how to mix them
- Use colour to create a sense of space (background and foreground)
- Colour for print vs the web
- Principles of design
- Create visual hierarchy
- Conceptualise an identity for a new brand
- How to create icons and an effective logo
- Design stationery for a brand in line with the identity
- Present and communicate design concepts
- Typographic fonts styles
- Combine type and visual in a layout
- Type terminology
- Scamp up rough layouts with type variations by hand and digitally
- Develop the rationale for design solutions
- Best practices when designing for social
- Personal branding on social media
- Create templates for images applicable to all social media channels
How the course works
- 7 modules (1 per week)
- 7 assignments (1 per week, mix of quizzes and written questions)
- 1 research project (completed over the duration of the course)
- 8-10 hours of study per week (including reading the course notes, further research and assignments)
- The first week is dedicated to familiarising yourself with the online learning platform (virtual classroom), meeting the team that’ll support you and tackling the history of graphic design and stylistic movements, as well as the major influential designers. Then in weeks 2 - 10 you’ll delve into all the practical elements and start designing!
- 5th August 2019
- 14th October 2019
Online Learning USPs
Access the course content from anywhere in the world and participate in live chat sessions, forums and discussions. All assignments are designed to give you skills that you can immediately apply in the workplace.
Red & Yellow
All of the online courses delivered by our partner Red & Yellow offer part-time flexibility and are fully supported by a course coordinator, so you can focus on what matters – the learning.